As you may have heard, more information has been released this week about the vaccine rollout, but it still leaves us with a lot of questions.
Here is what we know so far:
- The government has asked each of the 34 public health units to come up with their own vaccination plan for their region. This plan can contain a mixed delivery model that includes large vaccination sites (like the one planned for the Metro Toronto Convention Centre), pharmacies, community centres, and potentially doctors’ offices.
- Individuals will be able to book their vaccinations online or over the phone, though we will not have those links or phone numbers until closer to March 15th.
- Starting on March 15th, individuals living in the community who are 80 years old and older will be able to sign up to get vaccinated.
Every few weeks, people from a lower age cohorts will be eligible to book their vaccinations. These dates are all contingent on the process going smoothly and on a steady supply of vaccines, so they may change, but for right now the plan is:
- April 15th – Ages 75 and up
- May 1st – Ages 70 and up
- June 1st – Ages 65 and up
- July 1st – Ages 60 and up
- We are still waiting on more information about exactly when younger individuals with chronic conditions and their caregivers, congregate care residents, and other high-risk populations will be eligible. Members of these groups are listed as being part of Phase 2 of the vaccination rollout (April to August), but we do not yet have clear information about when these folks can book their vaccinations.
- Some essential frontline workers may be able to book their vaccinations in May, but we are still waiting for more details for this group as well.
I wish that we had more information to share with you. It is so frustrating that we have had to wait so long for this limited information.
Ontario is still lagging behind the rest of the country when it comes to our vaccine rollout, even though we have the largest number of active COVID cases. We need to get out ahead of the spread of COVID-19 variants now.
Please know that we are watching closely for more news and pushing the government for updates.
Here are some links to information about the vaccination plan, if you would like to read more:
I will continue providing you with relevant updates as they become available. Remember that you can always reach out to my office by phone at 416-972-7683 or by email at [email protected]
MPP Suze Morrison